Monday, December 10, 2012

HBBC Week 3

This was a fantastic week.  I met my goals for the week, and am feeling strong and relaxed.

Monday: Ran a really easy-paced 5.5 miles.  I was still feeling a bit under the weather, but it felt good to get outside and run. After the run, I tried the WOW #3.  I added planks and squats and did 5 rounds. Love the tabata style of workout!

Taken from: http://tabatatraining.org

Tuesday: Used this as somewhat of a rest day.  Got up and did a nice 2200 yard swim (Endurance-Form #4).  I recently purchased the book, "Swim workouts for Triathletes" and I am following the "general fitness" plan right now.  My goal is to get 3 swims/week in.


Wednesday: Hit it hard today.  Did my first every spin class before school.  I LOVED it!!  The instructor was surprised this was the first time I have ever tried it.  Came home that night and ddid a 10k  negative split run.  Cooled it down with just under a mile walk on the treadmill and then 20 minutes of stretching.



Thursday: Hit the pool before school and did a 3100 yard swim (Endurance speed #6).  This was a fun workout, and I got to swim fast for parts of it!  :)  Came home and did a really slow 4 mile recovery run and 20 minutes of stretching.  The quads were really feeling it today as a result of the spin.  It took until Sunday before I felt normal again.  I wanted to head back to the Y for a spin on Friday morning, but I was having a hard time just going up and down stairs, so I decided to hold off.

Friday: No morning workout today, but did an easy 3.5 interval workout on the treadmill, and then finished up with a 1 mile cool down walk.

Saturday: My goal when I headed out was to get 8-12 miles in at a nice relaxed pace.  As I progressed into the run, I started to feel really good.  At around 10 miles, I thought I would go for a half marathon...and try to negative split it. Mission accomplished.  I ran a 1:55 half marathon with the 2nd half of it 3 minutes faster than the first half.  I felt incredible!  I cooled it down with a 2 mile walk around the neighborhood, then came home and did some yoga poses and stretched the legs out.

Feeling pretty awesome after an unplanned half mary!!

Sunday: Headed back to the Y for a brick workout.  Did a nice easy 14 mile spin on the indoor bike, then hit the pool for 2400 yard swim (Force #2).  Came home and watched the end of the Browns game (THEY WON!!!) while stretching.

I am very pleased with this week.  I wanted to get over 80 points this week, and because of the quality workouts I got in, plus getting in my fruits and veggies every day, I was successful!  81.7 points this week.  I have found that I am more cognizant of going for a piece of fruit as a snack, instead of the chocolate or crackers I would normally go for.  I love fruit smoothies, and will often make my own, or buy the Naked smoothies from the store. My kids and I fight over edamame!  How awesome is that??? The best news of all, is that I have lost 4 of the pounds I have put on since my marathon in late October!!!  So very pleased.  I am hoping to continue that trend through the New Year!

Taken from http://www.jamesbeard.org/blog/eat-word-edamame

This coming week is a recovery week as I get ready to start a new marathon training cycle on the 17th. My goals for this week:
~ All freggies in each day
~ Post to FB each day
~ Do the WOW at least once
~ Stretch 4 times
~ Swim 2-3 times
~ Spin 2 times
~ Run 24-30 miles

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Nice job! You're always doing something! Maybe I'll catch you this week - I had 65 last week and my goal is to break 70 this week! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped by to visit your blog from Zanetas Xmas Card Swap and was excited to find another Columbus blogger!!! Are you planning to do a triathlon next season? If so, I have done close to all of the ones in Ohio, I can help you with the type of course and venue it is.

    It was nice to meet you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diesel! It's always fun to hear from someone nearby! I am planning on doing the Rev3 (HIM) up at Cedar Point in September next year. It'll be my first HIM. I will most likely find a couple sprint/olympic distance tris to do before that, but I'll probably stay in the area. I'd like to give the Giant Eagle one a try...any others that you would recommend?

      Delete
  3. I did Rev3 Half this season, I liked the course, well the swim and bike, the run course wasnt all that fun, and I will be at CP again this season, racing or spectating, depending how I feel.

    I have Giant Eagle for the last 2 years, I recommend it, I will not be doing it in 2013, it falls on the same day as Ironman Switzerland that I will be doing.

    I will email you later this week with some potential races to consider

    ReplyDelete
  4. still love seeing everyone write freggies now, such a great term :) way to go on your weeks

    ReplyDelete